Thursday 8 November 2012

What is actually IS inclusion?

in·clu·sion/inˈklo͞oZHən/

Noun:
  1. The action or state of including or of being included within a group or structure: "the inclusion of handicapped students".
  2. A person or thing that is included within a larger group or structure
This is the most basic definition of inclusion. I simple typed into google the definition an copied and pasted what i found. However i feel the term in which i use this word due to my time at Chickenshed have vastly changed and  has a much wider range than simply feeling included. This is obviously the key foundation but the word spans over so much more ground.

To me inclusion is in the process and the feeling of the environment. To not only feel included but feel valued, wanted and needed. It moulds and adapts in different situations for different people. And it is NOT just the inclusion of "handicapped students"- my first thought when reading that definition is that its a contridiction in terms- stating and labelling students that have extra needs as "handicapped" is excluding in it self.

I did however really struggle to define inclusion and then questioned myself as to is my definition is the same as others who are involved in Chickenshed. As i had time on my hands and upon reflection came to the assumtion that everyone in Chickenshed doesnt hold a conclusive defination of inclusion i asked people that were walkin past me to sum up inclusion to them in one word. This is what i found:

Inclusion is.....

Open  13
Together 16
Belonging 7
Life 2
Safe 11
Wanted 4
Other 17

Other consisted of: included, here, not excluding, disabilities, home

This on the spot research i thought was important as to go forward with my inquiry plan i had to know when comparing the Inclusive environment in which i belong to- i actually knew what it was..in order to compare..if that makes sense.

Drama Way

http://www.slideshare.net/mrq/drama-a-way-to-social-inclusion

Currently i do not know alot about the company, but on it a breif readit seems to slightly follow the layout of the Chickenshed Process. For example titles in the document include " Drama a second chance to learn ".
Once i finish the reading of the document i will blogg about it, but i am quite excited to find a company who practises inclusion as it could help me to compare and contrast their process, method and product to the one of Chickenshed. Also in my actual finial project i could make contact and see if they have ever tackled issue based theatre.

E17

I have had contact over the last year with a group of students who have created a forum theatre based show which has the main issue of gang-violence. They do not claim to practice in an inclusive setting, and for that i believe could make an excellent compare and contrasting company.

These are all things in the pipe line. For my inquiry however im uncertain as to how far i need to go in researching these companies. Do i just find them and mention them in the inquiry, or do i find some basic facts about them then in my finial project go into much more detail with them.

Please let me know any thoughts

5 comments:

  1. Good review of experience and policy documents from the Chickenshed that you can use as literature to review during this module - you have already covered the material for work.

    Best advice on review of other companies is to start a paper and digital file of your research so that you will have this information to hand when writing up and to add to your body of knowledge. You need to make the argument that you use your reference file as is required... so how do you use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly.....dont understand the question?

      :s

      Delete
  2. I really like your exploration of inclusion. It's important and can be a key aspect of the drama class. Inclusion makes for safe, working and playful environment. This is particularly tricky with open feed back sessions, as negative peer assessment can lead to the exclusion of somebody. By enhancing the drama as play element to the room, we can create a no right or wrong atmosphere, rather an inclusive atmosphere based on a comfortable, open platform to express ideas.

    Great post Jojo, I would definitely learn from you inquiry area and think it would prove useful to many practitioners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jojo,

    I really enjoyed reading this post as I am new to the world of Inclusive theatre and I am thinking my line of inquiry will lie in me developing my knowledge of this field.

    Your blog is proving to be my form of literature! Do you know if chickenshed have any literature regarding their work that I could explore other than their website? I just want to know more about what they do and their ethos and aims really - or maybe we could meet up? skype?

    I think it is really interesting when you mentioned how merely mentioning terms such as "handicapped" leads to exclusion. I was thinking of a question looking at accessibilty to "disadvantaged" and "disabled" young people but in doing this I guess I am practicing exclusion. I am more interested in companies where all needs are inclusive with able-bodied students too (I don't even know if that is the right term!) Is this what Chickenshed does?

    Also have you heard of the "social model of disability" it is the theory that society makes someone disabled not a condition. Really interesting google it!

    Also what do you think of my award title

    BA Hons Professional Practice Theatre, Performance and Inclusion

    Thanks

    Hollie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Holly

    They do have quite alot of booklets and brochers which try and tell people about their ethos best they can...as it is very difficult to put such a unique ethos into words.

    When it comes to terms...that is always a hard thing to use as many "disabled" people would class themselves as "disable". At Chickenshed with the Chickenshed membership what i have found and believe is that the term "disabled" actually discribes all of use as we all have an aspect of life where we r "disabled" or "disadvantaged". And personally i feel that using the term "disabled" means i am potentially putting someone on a lower status than me.

    I just use "extra needs" if i have to use any term at all. But from going through quite a rocky school life where i can i avoid using labells where i can. Obviously in an inquiry circumstance these have to be used.

    This however is just mine and Chickensheds thoughts... im sure most people wont think twice about using those terms. It may be worth quickly investigating it. I know the "correct word" changes ALLLL THE TIME! with what the goverment and other official deem as correct.

    I havent heard of "social model of disability" but sounds fasinating and will definately google it!

    I think that award title is great! in one line you are showing you vast and varied talents!!!!!
    Meeting or skyping would be great to get some more information

    Also if you send me an email address i can send you the booklets Chickenshed have.

    If you have found any toher inclusive organisations that would also be great for me as im struggling to find it !

    ReplyDelete